Thank you so much to everyone who made this event such a success and to those who have supported us over the past ten years!
By: Tess Mackey
Last night The Shoe Hive celebrated its 10th Anniversary with a bash that brought out some of the city’s finest, including Mayor William Euille, and shoe lovers alike. I met Elizabeth six years ago on a whim while birthday shopping with my parents. She sold me my first pair of Shoe Hive shoes that happened to be patent leather, royal blue, Tory Burch Reva flats. When I walked into her store I always knew it was going to be a great experience, which made me visit frequently, and save for my favorite shoes each season. A decade has transformed The Shoe Hive into the premier shoe boutique in Alexandria, with more Reva flats to account for and countless other trendsetting styles that have given local women a step into the right fashion direction.
The night was filled with familiar faces as well as local bloggers and reporters such as Holly Thomas from Refinery29. Guests sipped on a signature cocktail, Bee’s Knees, and indulged in beehive cake pops and cookies. The raffle was a huge hit and will continue throughout the weekend on the 10 of every hour. Lucky winners will win prizes including an Ali Ro jacket and Hunter boots, depending on the drawing.
As I looked around at the buzzing crowd last night, I felt a sense of community support for not only Elizabeth but for Old Town itself. Growing up in Alexandria, I have been fortunate to watch Old Town grow into the successful town that it has become. Elizabeth is largely to thank for this due to her dedication and drive to make small businesses recognized and well received. To this day, I think of Elizabeth every time I slip on my flats, and how far she has come since her store on South Royal Street. Congratulations to The Shoe Hive and here’s to another ten years.
The featured pair of shoes this month to commemorate our 10 Year anniversary is a pair that I just purchased. I picked these because for 10 years I have been trying to get the courage to wear motorcyle boots. They’re not my typical style, but I think maybe I want them to be. I’ve always been more of a cowboy boot girl when it comes to casual everyday boots, and these have always been a little bit tougher and cooler looking than I am. Can I get there? That’s the question.
I decided to pull the trigger with these, the Valencia by Vera Wang, because of the chain detail. I thought maybe that would soften up the look and make it possible for me to pull it off.
There is always a chance these sit it my closet, but I am hoping I find my inner cool and start wearing them. Fashion courage. Wish me luck.
There are 10 days until our anniversary party weekend! Each day we will present one of our “2013 top ten” selections with an entire look created by stylist and wardrobe consultant, Alicia McCaslin. Just in case for some odd reason you don’t receive or read our emails and are not a fan on Facebook, we’ll be updating this page every day until the party!
- Sunday, September 1, 2013: What’s the scariest thing you’ve ever done? I guess bungee jump. Which isn’t that scary but it was in Panama City during spring break in college. Enough said.
- Monday, September 2, 2013: What is your greatest weakness? I tend to interrupt people.
- Tuesday, September 3, 2013: What is your greatest strength? Ignorance. I never know not to try things, which has turned out to be good.
- Wednesday, September 4, 2013: What brand tennis shoes do you wear? Asics.
- Thursday, September 5, 2013: What is your favorite form of exercise? Running.
- Friday, September 6, 2013: Who is the most intelligent person you know? My husband.
- Saturday, September 7, 2013: What’s the best piece of advice anyone has ever given you? When you own your own business, never forget your niche.
- Sunday, September 8, 2013: How did you get your name? My Great Aunt was named Elizabeth, but I think it is the number one name like every year.
- Monday, September 9, 2013: Would you call yourself a risk taker? For sure.
- Tuesday, September 10, 2013: Do you and your husband have “a song?” Nope.
- Wednesday, September 11, 2013: Have you ever tried spam? (the meat product) Um. Never.
- Thursday, September 12, 2013: What was your longest phone call ever? Probably on hold with an airline.
- Friday, September 13, 2013: Have you ever stolen anything? No. Well, I used to take my brother’s Polo rugby shirts in high school to wear with leggings and Reebok high tops!
- Saturday, September 14, 2013: Do you open Christmas gifts on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day? Christmas Day.
- Sunday, September 15, 2013: What was your favorite Halloween costume as a kid? I have never been a big Halloween dress up person. I guess Princess Leia. Second grade.
- Monday, September 16, 2013: Who was your favorite teacher in school? Mrs. Baur in 5th and 6th grade. One of my sorority sisters ended up marrying her son and I still run in to her when I am in Ohio.
- Tuesday, September 17, 2013: If you met a genie who offered you three wishes, what would you wish for? A cure for all cancers, a cure for muscular dystrophy and to be around to see my kids’ kids.
- Wednesday, September 18, 2013: iPhone or other? iPhone.
- Thursday, September 19, 2013: What was the last thing you ate? Eggs and turkey bacon.
- Friday, September 20, 2013: What’s your favorite farm animal? Pig.
- Saturday, September 21, 2013: Who is your male celebrity crush? Blake Shelton.
- Sunday, September 22, 2013: What are your top three favorite websites? Neiman Marcus, Shop Bop and Net-a-Porter.
- Monday, September 23, 2013: If you could talk to one species of animal, which would it be? Dogs, they are kind of like the spider on the wall.
- Tuesday, September 24, 2013: Vanilla or chocolate? Vanilla.
- Wednesday, September 25, 2013: Are you a giver or receiver? Both.
- Thursday, September 26, 2013: Are you scared of needles? Nope.
- Friday, September 27, 2013: Do you have a good sense of direction? Horrible.
- Saturday, September 28, 2013: Can you say the alphabet backwards? It would take a bit but yes.
- Sunday, September 29, 2013: What was the last thing to make you feel happy? Kisses from my kids.
- Monday, September 30, 2013: What was the last thing to make you feel angry? Cancer.
About three years ago, I got a call from the store. It went something like this.
Store: I think we just got the wrong shoes. They can’t be for us.
Elizabeth: What do they look like?
Store: Nothing you would ever order.
Elizabeth: What do they look like?
Store: They are a smoking shoe by Same Edelman with rose gold studs all over.
Elizabeth: I ordered those and I want a pair.
Store: Oh. Really? You are going to wear them?
So, I will admit they aren’t my typical style. They were also at the beginning of the smoking shoe trend–it was a little out of the norm for what we have. But I love them. They go with everything and are so comfortable. I will say they sold out quickly which shows when I go on buying trips I should not be afraid to buy a little outside my comfort zone. Now I would never think twice about buying studs or smoking slippers for the store!