Have you looked at the forecast in Alexandria recently? It appears that the warm(er) weather is here to stay, and our new spring styles by Sundry arrived just in time. When picking from the collection, we opted for easy-to-wear pieces in easy-to-care-for fabrics that can be mixed and matched in as many ways as you see fit. Dress them up with a simple city sandal or down with a slip-on sneaker. Pile on the jewelry or keep the accessories minimal. However you choose to wear them, we guarantee your Sundry purchases will quickly become your spring and summer favorites!
Mollie may be the only woman–aside from Alexa Chung–who can pull off overalls. But she rocks them! And we feel as if that says a lot about her–she is cool, laid back, fun, and 100% herself. Meeting her at the Sundry stop at market is always a highlight of our trip.
We sometimes intentionally choose to meet her a little later in the day as an afternoon pick-me-up! Below, read Mollie’s answers to our questions and I guarantee you will be as enamored with her as we are!
1. What brand do you represent? SUNDRY!
2. How long have you worked there? 5 years this summer. Although I work for Simon Showroom and Sundry is a brand we represent.
3. What city is your brand based out of? LA
4. How long have you worked in this industry? Since I graduated college in 2011, so into my 5th year 🙂
5. Favorite shoe/piece of all time? My Celine cross body bag in royal blue.
6. Best part of your job? I get to work with clothes every day! It’s fun to always be the first to know/see trends and what will be big for the next season.
7. If you weren’t in fashion, what would you be doing? It’s crazy, but I was always extremely interested in the medical field… I’d probably stick to sales and be a pharmaceutical rep.
8. How do you spend your free time? With friends! Everything is better with someone by your side–I love to see movies, shop, EAT!
9. Predict the future: What will be the next big trend? I never know. Trends and fads are so far-fetched these days you never know what to expect! Who would’ve thought the ’70s would make such a huge comeback… I’m not complaining!
10. What’s in? What’s out? The ’70s are in! Effortlessly chic is what spring is all about… I think people are over the days of dressing uncomfortably. I think fashion has evolved into style that looks and feels comfortable.
11. Heels or flats? / Dresses or jeans? I am a total dress girl! I pretty much only wear dresses and skirts with any type of flats… Mainly over the knee boots or dresses with sneakers.
12. Why should our customers buy your [shoes/clothes]? Sundry is all made in the USA and fits the bill perfectly. We strive to always have effortlessly fun and comfortable clothing that makes you feel good. The best part is it is great for women of all ages!
We received multiple deliveries of jewelry last week and need to make room for the new product. In an effort to do so, we have marked down most of our Alexis Bittar, Asha and Anna Beck jewelry by 30%. Stop in soon and ask one of us to point it all out to you! There are many deals to be had!
This morning, The Shoe Hive team was discussing a very important matter–what we were going to wear for Easter Sunday next weekend. It was during this conversation we realized we have an unusually large number of colored shoes and styles in store now. We joke about how often we resort to ordering shoes in whites, blacks, greys and browns. This is likely an extension of our personal purchasing habits. Elizabeth owns an inordinate amount of cognac-colored accessories and Christen recently counted nearly ten pairs of grey booties in her closet.
It seems this year, however, spring has brought with it both saturated and pastel hues to our store. Here is just a small sampling of what is available; and if you, like us, are just now putting together ideas for next week’s holiday or perhaps a spring wedding, we have ample options!
One of the best parts of what we do is working with so many incredible brands and the even more incredible people who represent them. So, we decided to “interview” a few of the reps we have gotten to know over the years. Our first interviewee is Jennifer Gumbrecht of Sofft and Isola.
Christen and Jennifer have bonded over their mutual love of spray tans, and Jennifer is always gracious in meeting us (very) early in the morning for our appointment during the shows in New York. Here’s a little more about Jennifer:
1. What brand do you represent? Isola & Sofft Shoes
2. How long have you worked there? 2 1/2 years. Started in Aug 2013 w/ just Isola & then was asked to sell Sofft in June 2014.
3. What city is your brand based out of? Andover, MA is where Sofft Shoe Company is based.
4. How long have you worked in this industry? 19 years! Yikes…
5. Favorite shoe/piece of all time? I have a David Aaron (this was the brand before Steve stopped the license agreement & launched Steven) black birdcage wedge sandal. It was so comfortable & sexy! I wore it with jeans, trousers & dresses. Also a Mui Mui lace up pump in a gorgeous red w/ brown details.
6. Best part of your job? Presenting the new collections to my customers! No day is the same!
7. If you weren’t in fashion, what would you be doing? Elementary School Teacher or Interior Decorator. If I had the time, I would love to teach a class to fashion students at FIT or another fashion school NYC.
8. How do you spend your free time? With my family… Lacrosse!! My son is 11 1/2 & plays Lacrosse all year long. He’s on a summer travel team which keeps us busy on weekends in June & July. I also love to be outside in the sun; reading fashion magazines & listening to Pandora. I’ve become a huge country fan & want to go to Nashville.
9. Predict the future: What will be the next big trend? That’s a tough one…I’m not a designer, but know a hot shoe/boot when I see one!
10. What’s in? What’s out? Skinny jeans & flats…. Flared jeans & wedges.. Platform & single soles love!
11. Heels or flats? / Dresses or jeans? Heels for sure & jeans; although I love dresses in spring/summer with my heels & wedges.
12. Why should our customers buy your shoes? Sofft because they are on trend; priced right & comfortable! Isola because they are trendy/fashion forward w/ great material interest; priced right & comfortable (most of them!)
In hindsight, I probably should have shown you how to wear neon pumps in a slightly more accessible way. I understand not everyone would be comfortable wearing neon yellow pumps with a chartreuse leather jacket. But the sartorial lesson here is that you can wear bold color with other bold colors. This notion that there should be just one “pop of color” or that said pop of color somehow pulls an outfit together is, in my opinion, antiquated. Can we please just move on?
Getting back to the point of this post–the shoes, it took some convincing for Elizabeth to let me order these neon pumps, and even stylist extraordinaire Alicia McCaslin questioned my judgment on them. Now, I wouldn’t want to order just any shoe in any neon yellow. After all, not all neon yellows are equal. But there is something about this shoe–the pitch, the chunky heel, the pointed toe, and the color itself. All of this combined makes up what is one of the most flattering and comfortable shoes I have ever put on my feet. (We did also get it in nude for those of you who like to keep things simple.) Proof of their comfort? I wore them to the store, where I am on my feet all day and where customers rarely see me in anything but flats. Whether you opt for the neon or the nude, this pump by Butter is one every Shoe Hive shopper should have in her closet.
A quick side note: the crisp white shirt I am wearing is one we carry at The Shoe Hive as well. Just like neon yellows, not all white shirts are equal and this one is far superior to just about any other!
xoxo – Christen
We are excited for the arrival of our spring and summer Yarnz scarves. A lightweight scarf is the perfect seasonal accessory, when the weather is cool in the morning and warm in the afternoon. It can be worn and removed as needed, and provides coziness without suffocating. A scarf brings color and dimension to any look, and if well chosen will work with most of the pieces you already own.
This season, we opted for easy-to-wear hues in whimsical prints. Instantly upgrade your spring wardrobe with just a couple of versatile accessories by picking a scarf rooted in neutrals and another more colorful one. Which prints do you like best?