Mixing metals can be tricky, and many of our customers are still unconvinced that it can be done well. However, metallics are now the new neutrals and mixing them enables us to get even greater use out of the pieces that we love. So, for those of you who would like to give this trend a try, we’ve put together three simple tips to follow:
1) Pick a dominant metal. When mixing metals, it is important to ensure that one stands out more than the other. If you are stacking bangles, for example, select two gold and one silver.
2) Add a touch of texture: matte, brushed, polished or hammered. This will add depth to your outfit and make each element pop!
3) Do not shy away from pieces that have both silver and gold. They’ve done all the hard work for you.
If you are still lost, think of it like this–75% of the dominant metal and 25% of the subordinate metal–and you can’t go wrong!
A few days ago, Elizabeth gave a joint presentation with friend and stylist Alicia Mccaslin on style, trends and what every woman should have in her closet. Of course, Elizabeth was tasked with breaking down the ten shoes that will make any wardrobe manageable and this is what she came up with:
1. A neutral flat. This is the shoe you don’t have to think about. It goes with everything, is comfortable and can be worn during at least three of the four seasons.
2. A demi-wedge. Especially if you have bad feet, this shoe will provide a little lift, lengthening your legs without sacrificing comfort.
3. A black pointy flat. If you work in a professional environment, this is a must-have. And you’ll just have to trust us, the pointed toe is much more sophisticated and feminine than a round-toe ballet.
4. Strappy heel. Get a heel height that you can stand in for at least an hour or two, and if you opt for a nude the shoes will go with every evening or dinner-out dress in your closet.
5. A black bootie. This particular trend isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. In fact, it’s stronger than the traditional knee-high boot. And if you get the right pair (one that doesn’t cut you off at the ankles), you can wear it with skirts, dresses and pants.
6. Sneakers. This is one trend we are grateful has made its way back to the mainstream. Of course, we are subjective and love our Supergas, but there are many styles and brands from which to choose!
7. Black pumps. You need these for all the same reasons you need black flats. And yes, you need both because you never know what the day has in store.
8. Riding boots. Get a classic style that hits you about half an inch below the knee. The shaft should be cut at a slight angle, and look for a style with minimal hardware. If you abide by these rules and care for your boots, they will last you a lifetime.
9. Summer sandal. Here, we showcased a cork version. You could go with another neutral, just be sure you aren’t limiting what you can wear with them. This is the dead-of-summer answer to your neutral flat.
10. Colorful option. You should insert color into your shoe wardrobe where you will wear it most. If you need a variety of work-appropriate shoes, get a red pump. If you find yourself running after your kids at the playground every day, get a blue sneaker. Wherever you need it, do color.
We’ve had these tassel keychains by Gigi New York for a few weeks now, but we thought they still deserved their fifteen minutes of fame. Fun and functional, they feature a leather two-toned tassel and Gigi’s signature hardware. They make great graduation or hostess gifts, will keep you from losing your keys, and just generally bring bold and bright color to a very mundane item we all carry. And the very best part? They’re only $25! Stop in to see the color selection and pick out your favorite!
You’ve heard, right? Everyone’s talking about it. At least everyone in Alexandria is. Alexandria’s Scout Guide launched this week and it. is. so. good. One of Elizabeth’s best friends, Alison Teer, is the founding editor of the Alexandria edition and she did a remarkable job putting it together, along with art director Kathryn Martin–another great friend and favorite stylist.
Alison has built The Scout Guide into the go-to guide for locals and visitors alike to find the very best characters, craftsmen, and committed business owners Alexandria has to offer. As we were flipping through our copy yesterday, we noticed something else that was pretty cool. Many of the business owners included were wearing items they had purchased from The Shoe Hive. We were so excited for our cameos, we decided to share them with you.
(Click on any of the images for a larger version.)
This is an obvious one, but nonetheless the shoes Elizabeth is wearing are Butter and are still available in store!
Courtney (front) of Ivy Lane Living is wearing Vince Camuto wedges from last season and an Ali Ro jacket currently available.
We love the Coco Blanca ladies and appreciate that Susie (right) and Gayla (center) are both repping The Shoe Hive with their footwear choices!
This one was a surprise. On the left, she is wearing a favorite pair of Aquatalia suede booties that Elizabeth owns and swears by for both comfort and style!
And, finally, Alicia (right)–stylist behind The Tulle Box–is sporting our ever-popular Asha by ADM studded bracelets.
We have tons of copies of The Scout Guide at The Shoe Hive, so next time you’re shopping don’t forget to pick up one for yourself and your friends!