Yep, it is that time of year again. Black Friday is only a week away and we will be opening at 6 AM! You know the drill: from 6 to 8 AM, the entire store will be 30% off. From 8 to 10 AM, the entire store will be 20% off. For 10 AM onward, the entire store will be 10% off. It pays to wake up early!
I also recommend coming in ahead of time, trying on the styles you want and making notes of exactly what to purchase. Getting an employee’s attention on Black Friday may be a bit of a challenge. For a list of the other Old Town shops’ deals and hours, head over to our Shop Local Alexandria website.
Other important points: there will be free garage and street parking, and the trolley will have extended hours. If you are looking for post-shopping activities for the kids, you can have their photo taken with the best Santa in the whole world–he may even be the real one–and then visit Market Square at 7 PM for the Annual Tree Lighting Ceremony.
For those of you who may not be “in the know,” we decided to offer a monthly round up of the important shoe-related stories of which you should be aware. November’s round up includes stories that are helpful in planning your upcoming purchases, stories that serve no real purpose at all and stories for those 30 minutes in the morning before your boss arrives when you do anything but work.
- No one would describe my television taste as sophisticated, yet even I avoided the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show the other day. I did, however, seek out images of the shoes Nicholas Kirkwood created for the thematic looks. And, yes, they are as ridiculous and fabulous as one might expect. Major disappointment: apparently, they chose not to use the pair of roller skates with pink wheels Kirkwood designed. Such a shame.
- I have name dropped the color of the season a number of times on the blog this fall. Oxblood, oxblood, oxblood. It’s everywhere–every accessories designer has his/her version of the color, but it theoretically falls somewhere between bordeaux and burgundy–a deep, red wine. If you now feel as if your closet is hopeless without a touch of oxblood, we can help with that too. My personal favorites are these Elizabeth & James suede pumps or these Marc Joseph round-toe flats. You’re welcome.
- Rainy days like today inevitably have me reaching for my Hunter boots. When it’s cold, I add my fleece liners. Yet, I have a feeling I will step up my game this winter as J. Mendel just joined forces with Hunter to create fur-lined boots that are just beyond.
- New York magazine’s style blog, The Cut, has put together a slideshow of the top 50 ugliest shoes in history. Do yourself a favor and read the commentary to the right of each photo too. It will make you chuckle. My personal “favorite” is the second one–a fin on a pointed, lace-up pump?!?
- A final shoe trend which I simply cannot condone–I mean, I sell shoes for goodness’ sake!–is the recent celebrity enthusiasm for going barefoot. Yep, barefoot. Apparently, Kristen Stewart didn’t wear shoes on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon. Her excuse? She was set to play a game of ring toss. *rolling eyes* Just hours later, Marion Cotillard was caught removing her shoes on the red carpet! She was wearing a pretty fabulous pair of Dior pumps, but apparently they were too painful. While I sympathize with Marion, I am fearful that this trend will catch on and I will be out of a job. Therefore, I must roll my eyes at her too.
Well, that’s our dose of shoe news for the month. I hope you have been thoroughly entertained. A la prochaine!
(And it is the last day for our blog contest. You only have about 11 hours left to enter here.)
I hope you come in and shop our Sofft trunk show this weekend. You have until Sunday to get any Sofft style for 20% off but you would be doing yourself a favor to come today because not only is the Sofft rep available, but we are also giving away a free pair of shoes too! Details can be found in our previous post.
I will be posting photos of the trunk show to our Facebook page a little later today, but for now I wanted to share images we pulled from Sofft’s website–a little inspiration on what shoes to purchase this weekend and how to wear them.
Are you already counting down to the weekend? Well, here’s another reason to look forward to Friday. It’s the first day of our weekend-long Sofft trunk show. Below are just a few of the styles we will have available. As always, trunk show styles will be 20% off.
Additionally, the Sofft rep will be at the store on Friday to answer all of your questions and help you choose the perfect shoe for you. That is all fairly normal for our trunk shows. But there are two more reasons you should shop the trunk show this weekend. The first–on Friday AND Saturday we will be drawing a name for a free pair of Sofft shoes. So, two days–two winners. Stop by and enter to win. The second–with every purchase, Sofft is giving away a manicure kit. Discounts, manicures, giveaways and designer shoes? It’s going to be another fun weekend at The Shoe Hive.
As many of you know, our bathroom isn’t anything special:
We had intentions of repainting anyway, but given your enthusiasm for a previous Facebook post on the new paint color of our bathroom walls, we thought we’d give you the opportunity to choose the design style of our bathroom upgrade. Please comment and let us know which direction you think we should go.
There is a prize involved. We will first tally the votes for the redesign and obviously go the route you all recommend. However, we will also randomly select a winner amongst all the comments. The winner will receive–appropriately–a Stephanie Johnson makeup bag!
So, which one should we choose?